Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Randomness

So I don't really have anything in particular I want to write about today, I just felt like writing so this will probably be pretty random. On today's random agenda:

My Brain is Jello
BJs Wholesale Club
"Fall"ing Behind - Gotta Love It!
Where have all the trick-or-treaters gone?
Nausea, Headaches, and the Joys of New Medicine


My Brain is Jello

Yes, my brain is no longer a regular functioning brain. Or I should say it doesn't feel like a regular functioning brain. Instead I swear my brain has been replaced with Jello. And not just any Jello, it's orange Jello. I'm not sure how I'm so sure it's orange since I've never gotten a good look at my own Jello-brain, but it feels like it's orange. I guess orange Jello isn't that bad for a brain. My friend, Heather, only has soup for her brain! Noodle soup! Mmmmm...noodle soup. (After I wrote that last sentence, I realized that's a line from a Friends episode! Funny how it creeps into my head without even realizing it!)

BJs Wholesale Club

In my opinion, BJs is one of the best stores on earth. Okay, maybe I'm a little weird and I'm sure that's an exaggeration - afterall there are plenty of stores I'd choose over BJs if I could choose any store on earth - but it's a pretty darn good store. And the best things they have there are big variety cases of gatorade in the three flavors I like best (fruit punch, orange, and lemon lime), big variety cases of propel in my two favorite flavors and one I can tolerate (grape, kiwi strawberry, and berry is the one I can tolerate), and huge bags of chex mix. Am I a dysautonomiac or what!?! The only down sides of BJs is that, since everything is so much bigger, the store is a lot bigger and the carts are a lot bigger which makes getting around when you're not feeling well a bit of a challenge. But, I can manage to get around in order to get my staples to last me for a few weeks! I get to take a trip there tonight to replenish my supplies as well as get a lot of the food for the Lyme Out Retreat that starts on Thursday. Yikes! Lots to do for that!

"Fall"ing Behind - Gotta Love It!

I love the time change in the fall. That's all I need to say. Extra hour of sleep is good, especially when you have to be up at 8:30 to go to church for choir rehearsal!

Where have all the trick-or-treaters gone?

So last night was Halloween, as I'm sure most of you realized. How many trick-or-treaters did you have? 20? 30? Maybe even 40 or 50? Well, can you guess how many trick-or-treaters we had? None. Zero. Zip. Nada. My mom bought lots of candy, had it in a big bowl, had decorations out, and we had no trick-or-treaters. Usually we only have a handfull, at least the kids from across the street, but this year we didn't even have them (my theory is that they ditched our boring neighborhood to go somewhere else with their friends). Oh well, I bagged up some of the candy for myself and my parents and brother and sister will chip away at the rest of it. I just wish my throat and tummy felt up to eating more candy! (Although I shouldn't be having that much sugar at a time, so maybe it's a blessing I'm not feeling like eating much!) And that brings me to...

Nausea, Headaches, and the Joys of New Medicine

Okay, so if you don't read My Lyme Journal, you probably don't know that I just switched IV antibiotics. I was on IV Clindamycin from July 11th until last Friday (October 28th). The Clinda mostly just made me feel worse. So, at my last LLMD (Lyme Literate Medical Doctor) appointment, we decided to switch me from the Clinda to another IV antibiotic, Primaxin. We weren't sure how long it would take to get my insurance company to approve it. After a week of not hearing from my infusion company, I called them on Friday and asked what was up. They said they had been calling my insurance company but hadn't gotten an answer about the approval. So, to my great surprise I got a call from Steve at Coram, my infusion company, saying that the Primaxin had been approved and I would be starting it that night! I got the delivery of the supplies and one of my nurses came out last night and I started the Primaxin. I'll be dosing it three times a day, which will be a big pain (no more long night's sleep), but I'm just so glad it's getting covered and everything.

So, I spent my Halloween night learning about my new medication and chatting with my nurse. And, oh yeah, feeling sick. This medicine is going to be rough - nausea and headaches seem to accompany every infusion and it's going to make it difficult to get my other medications in around the pukey feeling. I'll manage somehow, I guess. You know that orange Jello that is my brain? Well I have some orange and some green Jello in my fridge that will become a staple food for me over the next few weeks as I get my Zofran and Primaxin schedule down. Is it weird to be eating the same thing my brain is made out of? Hopefully I'll get the schedule down pretty well and be able to avoid some of the nausea but if the oral Zofran doesn't cut it it's possible my LLMD will prescribe IV Zofran, which he did for a friend of mine. We'll see how the next few weeks go!

Well, that's all my randomness for today. Hope you enjoyed it!

Yours,
Penguini

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home