Friday, November 17, 2006

Delicate Balance

Right now I feel like everything is so delicately balanced. I'm tolerating my meds okay and showing slow but noticibile improvements. But I feel like any change could be a gust of wind knocking down this house of cards. And even without changing anything there's no way of knowing when the wind might blow stronger. My foundation is not solid. Meds are strategically placed, added, subtractedx to attempt to avoid side effects and prevent crashes. But they do not give me a solid foundation to build on.

Any thoughts I have about changing meds or trying to do without them altoegether always end with the fear that any change will (or at least could) be too much of a jolt to the delicate balance of things. One med causes nausea and low white cells (at least for me) so other meds are added to prevent that. Headaches require a migraine med at onset as well as a preventative med. And sleeping meds. And meds to keep my gut moving (as much as possible) and prevent bacterial overgrowth. Everything must be balanced and strategically planned to avoid interactions and minimize side effects.

And a lot of the time it feels like we're running a race, me and my doctors, eternally trying to catch up with the other runners and get a step or two ahead of the symptoms and diseases, but it always seems we play catch-up. We can anticipate things to a degree but more often than not it's a matter of trying to catch things early and keep up with new developments and symptoms. Reflux unexpectedly worsens significantly over time so meds are upped, one switched out for a stronger on, but even when one thing gets under control, something else is waiting right there to take its place.

A house of cards. Running a (seemingly) never-ending race. Maybe not the most positive or optimistic metaphors. But they are truthful. They are my life, my body, my thoughts, my day-to-day struggles. The house of cards will not necessarily come tumbling down around me - maybe I'll be lucky and a more solid foundation will form under me, allowing a sturdier house to be built. And the race will not necessarily always leave me one step behind the next thing, issue, problem, symptom, disease. Maybe those issues will diminish and those left will be less surprising and just a little slower so my doctors and I could keep pace with them. But everything is built upon "maybe"s and "what if"s - both the good and the bad. I'm tired of uncertainties, of not being able ot make plans, of never knowing what will happen next. Maybe I should look at it all differently. Maybe it's an opportunity for...something. But there I go with more "maybe"s.

Life is uncertain. You can plan all you want but in the end the plans could all be wiped away. Life is short - seize the day! But what do you do if you can't seize the day? What happens when one seized day results in a week spent in bed or a crash in health that pulls the rug out from under you and throws you into a tailspin? Should you seize the day anyway and suffer the consequences? My wonderful and wise beyond her years friend, Lexie, says, "If you can play, then play. If you need to rest, then rest." How did kids get to be so smart?

Yours,
Penguini

2 Comments:

At December 20, 2006 5:01 AM, Blogger garbungled said...

Dude, chocolate with strawberry goop is reeeeeeeeeeeeeally good!

____________

*hours and hours and hours later*

I had started that as something random since I was eating that chocolate and I was going to get on topic right after that but now I don't remember what the entry was about but I did read it and it is five am, you're sleeping (about time :p) and I'm going to sleep veeeery soon, I'm in bed now and I was just closing my tabs and found this.

Silly Putty rocks!

I think this possibly-on-coming-cold may be gearing up to add a cough to its résumé. I'm having second thoughts about going out tomorrow, I reeeeeeeeeally do want to go though, so it's all about how I am in the "morning".


See you at one . . . and please . . . no knife . . . please?

 
At December 20, 2006 1:00 PM, Blogger Penguini said...

My goodness. 5:01 AM and you were STILL up? You know, I didn't even hear you come back in from getting ready for bed - I must have fallen asleep REALLY fast (or else was just oblivious to all noises, which isn't really like me).

Yay for yummy chocolate with strawberry goop! I wonder what the strawberry stuff actually is. Perhaps I'll have to get some more of that from work before the holiday shop comes down on Friday. Granted, it's not like the chocolate disappears from the earth on Friday, they do make it to be shipped or picked up or something the rest of the year, but it's so handy to get at work.

If you're not up to going out today, no problem. I was wondering if you'd still want to go if you're feeling pretty yucky. I'm definitely in the beginning stages of a cold, too, which hopefully will hold off getting bad at least until I'm home.

Okay, time to come wake you up. And no knife, I promise!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home